General Ministry Program
The General Ministry Program is designed for the learner who desires to draw closer in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ through a study of Scripture. Students in this program gain a broad understanding of the Bible, its origin, its authority and hermeneutical principles. This program provides 1) a foundational education for leadership in the church, and 2) a practical application of theology through ministry opportunities.
General Ministry Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the General Ministry program graduates will be able to:
- Develop a Spirit-filled theology in order to minister in the Holy Spirit using spiritual gifts and worship skills.
- Practice and describe key skills a leader must have for a lifetime of personal spiritual formation, evangelistic mission and modern media arts.
- Employ effective, compassionate skills for use in various ministry and professional settings, including teaching, conflict management, evaluating organizational dynamics, culture, and structure to guide the implementation of visionary strategies.
While the General Ministry program offers a complete stand-alone degree, learners may also select an emphasis tract. Emphasis courses provide instruction and training for preparation for a specialized ministry. The General Ministry emphasis tracts are:
- Christian Music
- Media and Communication
Christian Music Emphasis
The Christian Music Emphasis is designed for the learner who desires to draw closer to Jesus Christ in a personal relationship through the ministry of music. This tract is designed for students who seek to define a theology for worship and music in the contemporary church, and who desire to investigate various music ministry opportunities.
Christian Music Emphasis Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Christian Music Emphasis tract graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the knowledge of the aural and written skills associated with the “grammar” of music, including notation, chord progressions, part-writing, and melody harmonization.
- Articulate a biblically-based theology of music and worship.
- Execute functional skills of at least one musical instrument as demonstrated through a developed technical skill, artistic interpretation, listening skills, good quality of tone, and the ability to perform jointly with other musical instruments.
- Perform with a high level of musicianship as demonstrated through a developed technical skill, listening skills, artistic interpretation, good quality of tone, and ability to perform jointly with other musical instruments.
- Demonstrate leadership ability to the music ministry by situational analysis and providing recommendation for the growth and development of individuals and groups, and to work with a church staff.
The Missiology Emphasis is designed for the learner who desires to draw closer to Jesus Christ in a personal relationship through the expression of missional service. This tract is designed for students who seek to define a theology for missions and evangelism in the contemporary church, who wish to identify and develop a passion for evangelism and outreach, who desires to acquire the skills for active ministry in the field of Missions, and who desires to investigate various evangelistic and mercy ministry opportunities.
Missiology Emphasis Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Missiology Emphasis tract graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct comprehensive ethnographic research.
- Articulate a biblical understanding of culture and diversity.
- Articulate the theological rationale for the missional role of the local church and the principles for effective church planting within specific cultural environments.
- Demonstrate the skills and character for effective cross-cultural adaptation.
Christian Media and Communications Emphasis
The Christian Media and Communications Emphasis is designed for the learner who desires to draw closer to Jesus Christ in a personal relationship through the ministry of modern media expression. This tract is designed for students who seek to define a theology for media and communications in the contemporary church, who wish to identify and develop a passion for digital presentation through diverse forms of media, and who desire to investigate various media ministry opportunities.
Christian Media and Communications Emphasis Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Christian Media and Communications Emphasis tract graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate a foundational knowledge of Communication Theory and Mass Media history and theory.
- Demonstrate basic mastery of media pre-production techniques, including conceptualizing, scripting, storyboarding, critique, general shoot preparation, location scouting, basic set design and casting.
- Demonstrate basic mastery with media production skills including producing, directing, lighting, shooting, basic sound recording, and live broadcasts production.
- Demonstrate basic mastery of media postproduction techniques including video editing, sound editing, effects, and motion graphics.
- Articulate the importance and value of media literacy and the use of media from a biblical perspective.
- Articulate the importance of the role of media and technology in Christian Communications and its limitations.
Potential Careers and Job Opportunities
The purpose of the General Ministry program is to equip students for lasting service to the kingdom of God by offering an inter-disciplinary selection of ministry and theological studies. The types of ministries and careers our degrees lead to will vary upon individual choice. Below are some suggested career objectives for General Ministry degree:
- Pastor or Associate Pastor
- Church Administration
- Church Leadership
- Age Group Ministries (Children, Youth, Young Adult, etc.)
- Music Ministry
- Missions Work (Local and Global)
- Media Ministry
- Christian Education
Learners who successfully complete the General Ministry program will be prepared to continue their education at the graduate level in a corresponding field of study.